My Blog List

Monday, August 07, 2006

Running the race

Paul talks about us running the race. He says in Hebrews:
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I don't think I have fully appreciated these words or understood what they really mean. All that running and training last summer helped, I think, in showing me what this means and how it feels. I've started to apply that training and the things I learned during it to strengthen my faith, my calling as a wife and my calling as a mother. Life can get tedious, that's for sure! Faith can wane, frustrations can boil over, we can begin to loose our focus on the King. But, if you think about running the race... there are days when we kind of coast, we don't go uphill or go downhill. In my running I have found these times the most difficult. There is no rush or challenge because you are not going uphill, there is no break, or "high" when you aren't going downhill. Keeping up the pace when the road is flat is the most difficult. There are so many distractions: Discontent, lack of faith, lack of joyous thanksgiving, bitterness, idleness, pursuit of other things to fill us up so we feel like we are taking a "break" from running the spiritual race, these are all things lurking during the straight and flat part. These are also the times I think God can do a WONDROUS work in us. Learning to be content with the typical day, typical vocation we find our selves in and really, really working in that with all our heart for the Glory of God can bring great satisfaction. We begin to see the Lord taking hold of every part of our life when we submit these little things to him.

The kids have been such a blessing to my walk. Praying with them daily, throuout the day, singing and teaching them hymns and songs, memorizing scripture with them, being in the Word constantly, has caused a revival of heart! It's amazing the accountability I feel knowing that I have to teach a little one or two how to run that race. They have drawn me closer to the Word and the Lord more than I could have ever imagined. Maybe that's one of the purposes God has in those cute little rug rats : )

Highlights for journaling sake:
Anna continues to battle (she's winning) sucking her thumb. Got to get to Chuck-E-Cheese
She has finished the first two songs in the Suzuki violin book! Suzuki has been great for improving listening skills and work ethic. "You vill play thiz and you vill likee iiit!"
Josh finished his first week since we've been married where he has run more than me! I'm slacking off! I hope we can get into biking more this fall again. We have talked a bit about taking a river trip in Alaska.....if I can ever save for that canoe. Anyone want to buy an electric guitar? I have one for sale.
Caleb loves to command: "can I have some of that please", "I want up NOW, please", "blankie probably downstairs" and if he has a little gas from all that fruit he is quick to say "bump" maybe that's what that feels like, a bump... LOL off to bed.

No comments: