My Blog List

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Mother's Best Friends


My kid's know not to mess with two things:

My Coffee.

My Beer.

I've discovered some similarities between the two. Nothing is more refreshing in the morning than slurping up a big mug of black, strong coffee. Reheated about 4-5 times (kids). Sure, half of it is water-pressed decaf but when you create that beast in the french press and steep it for twice the time it's required to brew (kids again), no one complains you added decaf. I may not sit down for breakfast, I may have had a horrible start to the day. But, the familiarity and comfort of that deliciousness reminds me to look up, and to charge forward. Coffee brings friends AND enemies together. It creates wonderful snobbish cliques but also unifies in mysterious ways. Yes, if everyone drank coffee there would probably be no more war. Ok, so I went a little too far. Maybe not...

Beer is very similar. What can top opening up the strongest most grape-fruity IPA after [ insert the trial-of-the-day here]. My cooking is just more appealing to my husband when it sits on the table next to a nice dark Guiness. Burned salmon? There's Guiness! Over-cooked broccoli? Who cares when you have a nice ale! Stew for the 8th night in a row? We've got a nice wheat beer to add to it. Yes, like coffee, beer can unite friends and enemies alike. A nice beer after dinner reminds me of all the good things God has given to us, and all the good things yet to come.

Please, let's go out for coffee... or beer.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I'd go out for beer or coffee with you in a heartbeat!!